my favorite band

my favorite band
The Rolling Stones in 1969

Monday, January 2, 2012

All Quiet On the Western Front: final thoughts

Now i hope I don't spoil the end for anyone in this post. First off, let me just say that the book was still good, even if this was my second time reading it. It has a sad ending that makes you think about how war can ruin one's life and dreams. I mean if i had buddies in the war and all of them died, I wouldn't be able to carry the weight of the emotional hardships i would most likely encounter. I bet Paul felt the same way... I would recommend this book for any young WWI expert, not just because the book is about WWI soldiers, but because it paints a perfect picture about the causalities and opinions of the soldiers of World War 1.
Remember Kemmerich's boots? The ones that were worn by Muller when Kemmerich died? Well, Muller died in the end and guess who got the boots? Paul did. Now i see the importance of the reference to Kemmerich's boots. All Quiet on the Western Front is a good book that shows how WWI took its toll on a soldier emotionally and mentally.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your connection to the boots! It's kind of funny in a way how they were passed around, kind of like a token. But really good summary! I agree with the last sentence a lot, this book really opened my eyes to what war does to a soldier.

    ReplyDelete